Thread: M3 winter tires
View Single Post
      01-04-2022, 06:16 PM   #417
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

I'm torn between Scylla and Charybdis at this point.

I've decided to purchase a set of 826M's in 19" for the rear, but the main concern is officially tyre choice since having 19's all around opens up a few more possibilities vs the stock 19/20.

I'm currently torn between a square set of VikingContact 7's, and Alpin PA4's. Basically, do I want to go for performance winters, or do I go for studless snow & ice.

I'm in Westchester N.Y. but frequently drive to the Bronx and sometimes LI. The roads range anywhere between completely clear, to icy death (the part of the Bronx I frequent doesn't get ploughed often and my old folks' driveway/area is seldom shovelled). I don't particularly care for spirited driving as my main objective driving during the winter/snow is getting from point A to B safely and securely, sometimes with my 7 month old daughter, but there is a need to be able to manoeuvre because of garbage drivers that are everywhere. So I don't care too much that Alpin 4/5, Sottozero, and Blizzaks (the non WS90 at least) will handle better per sé. I did however, read that studless snow/ice tyres actually don't grip as well in completely dry pavement above a certain temperature? I suspect 85% of the time I drive, the roads will be fine, but the last thing I want is to be stuck that one time the roads are bad on performance winters, or look for grip on dry roads while on studless snow/ice tyres. Can anyone shed light on the grip on dry pavement on studless snow/ice tyres?

I had a set of Alpin PA4's on my old GT3 and they were pretty good, but when I think about my family now - I don't care for the performance aspect at all and just want the tyre that'll keep me/us safest.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 0