01-04-2021, 07:41 PM   #34
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
Hey folks,

I currently own a 2018 M2 and I have specific needs due to changes in my life situation, here is a little resumay:

we currently have 3 cars but are expecting our first child next summer and we plan to get rid of my wife's old Honda civic for safety concern while transporting our future children. She will be using my daily Q5 when needed and I'll switch between "the sportier" car when needed on a daily basis. We also have 2x 55lbs Husky Dogs but will not transport them in that car.

Now here is were it gets more complicated, the M2 is more of a weekend car since I store it in the winter and do around 8-10 track days per summer with it. It's got a Ohlins suspension, AP big brake kit, 18 inch Apex wheels with track day tires, Quick fit pro harness and misc stuff..

So let's list the needs

- Good daily driver
- Great track day car
- Ok/Good family hauler (4 doors)
- AWD (Serious winter here)

In a perfect world M3 wagon would allow to get the dogs in there too but BMW seems dertimined to deny us that pleasure..

Another possiblity is putting winter tires on the M2 witch is not totally out of the question and saves a lot of $..

So any directions or advice is welcome, I think this thread could be a nice discussion for track enthusiasts looking for the sort of do it all car because they are at a point in there life were they don't want to have a track only car on the side or there track days are less than before.
You cannot "have it all" when it comes to kids, dogs, winter weather and track days... not in a single car.

A Q5 and M3 will get you close especially if you aren't towing (which is one of my personal requirements added to your list, so it makes it even harder).

The M3 is a great family (wo)man who does some track days. With the AWD and some winter wheels/tires you'll be in great shape. You'll mostly lose out on the edgier and smaller/sportier aspects of the M2 which is likely a better "drivers car."

Another option is you keep the M2 as your fun/track car and add a third car for commuting & family hauling if you find you really need a second car to fit that bill. If you're getting tired of the M2 then sure, swap it for an M3.

I will say that as much as I love love love the M5/M6/M8... I ended up dropping my M6GC CP bc it's just not fun at low speeds, only when you're tripling+++ the speed limit which is not something I wanted to keep doing. Around town and on the highway it was comfy, but could rarely feel like I was enjoying its potential unless I was going way too fast. I got a Camaro with V8 and stick shift which is loud and fun at any speed. An M2 or M3 definitely can be fun (mostly if it's manual) at most speeds too... even without losing your license and going to jail.

You'll get a million opinions... just do you!

Appreciate 0