12-30-2020, 09:04 PM   #27
akhbhaat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M318ti Type-R Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
So there is the option to run 3 cars? Pickup an M340i or 330i to replace the Civic. Keep the M2 and modify it further for track, or if you fancy a change of scenery pickup something more compromised for the fun car I.e. Evora, Cayman, GT350R etc. Covers all bases without compromise.
Yeah, this. Or just put snows on the M2, as mentioned. Maybe consider the S3/S4 as well.

I'm putting my money where my mouth is, too, since that's roughly what I did after trying to do exactly what you're trying to do: one car to rule them all. Identical requirements, even. You'll pretty much be left with the M3 and RS3/5, as already discussed above...but none of them truly thrilled me from behind the wheel. Obviously, we're all looking at the G80 with curiosity, and I'm mostly sticking around here to see how it pans out (if I can ever get past the horrible aesthetic), but given the size and weight I'm probably hoping against hope...I've autocrossed the M340 and turned big track laps in the M5C/M8C and the slow in, slow out, point-and-shoot muscle car driving style doesn't suit me. In the end, I just kept my old ZHP as a grocery getter (dirt cheap to run and still brilliant on the tight, congested, 35-45 mph roads around my home) and bought a Porsche.

Honestly, the M2 is tough to beat as a one-car-quiver, since it's more fun to drive than the M3 under all conditions, albeit at the cost of some utility (but not too much). Shame we can't get that platform with four doors...it's about the size of an E46 (which, as above, I've been driving in one form or another for decades), so I already know it wouldn't be awkward at all. For a year-round daily driver and occasional back road bomber, I would probably buy one without a second thought.
Montaver2182.00