View Single Post
      09-07-2021, 05:46 PM   #15
sleepy floyd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1974 Ford Bronco, 2022 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
Okay, let's be real here. How often are you planning on tracking these near 4K lbs. cars? If it's something you want to do from time to time, like once a year, then that's something. If you're planning on doing a 50/50 track & DD car, I would stay away from both as that get's very expensive (think consumables).
If you're looking at tracking once a year and 99% of the time the car is your daily, then go with your gut and get the RS5. It sounds like you are enamored by it and are looking for excuses to like the BMW more. The M3 will outperform the RS5 by every metric, but that hardly matters when you're simply driving the car. That blue looks dope, go buy it and enjoy.
Great points and thank you! So a few things on this...yes, I really do like the "stealth-like" looks of the RS5 especially in the Turbo Blue that's actually not all that stealthy. The funny thing is that every time I go to see an M4, I actually love it's looks as well (well, maybe not the front end so much, but I still don't mind it). For whatever reason, it's a car that looks much better in person than on video or with pics. It's even true with the colors, when I see them on-line, I think "why did BMW do all these crazy colors?" But then I see them in-person and they look much better. Unfortunately, I haven't yet been able to see my preferred spec (skyscraper grey over fiona red), or my 2nd (aventurin (sp?) red over Fiona. Showed my wife a pic of the grey, she was not impressed...again, hasn't seen it in person. They are of course hard to find, most are pre-ordered and I have to get to a dealer before the new owner picks it up (I literally drive through the storage lot of my local dealer every time one comes in).

In terms of track days, I live less than an hour from Sonoma Raceway, and would love to make it a once a month type of thing, they also have drag races on Wednesdays. I'm honestly not looking to break any records, but just though it would be a fun endeavor that my 16 year old boy will get a real kick to join with me (so my track times aren't super important). I showed him the Garmin track recorder tool, we both thought it would be awesomely great to get to understand driving dynamics better. I'm teaching him to drive right now, and he's a long way from needing to know braking, apexes, etc...but I'm trying to get him to understand driving dynamics as we go through this process.

I'm actually still leaning towards the BMW. Lower price, better performance, roomier cabin, and the .9% financing right now is actually really compelling. Truthfully, I'll never put either of these cars up against their full performance potential, but I actually enjoy the decision-making process and going back and forth on the options. Greatly appreciate the thoughtful input and feedback from everyone!
Appreciate 2
Bumpinjeep5519.00
MMiami27.00