View Single Post
      09-06-2021, 02:58 PM   #1
sleepy floyd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1974 Ford Bronco, 2022 M4

2022 XDrive M4 versus RS5

Surprised I haven't seen more of this on here, but here's my dilemma on the two cars --- pros and cons (for me anyway). Caveat is that I've only driven the M4 and it was a 2wd 6 speed...but I've sat in both and watched pretty much every review video out there. I always take the review videos with a grain of salt because what's important for some isn't generally important to all (like .2 seconds faster to 60mph). That being said, I do plan to take the opportunity to learn to drive on the track (with a class) and purchase the Garmin training unit. Anyway, here's my thoughts right now, in order of importance (again, to me, and I'm sure I've forgotten some important ones):

M4
Pros:
- Faster, better overall performance, more track-focused car
- My spec is actually cheaper than the RS5 spec (by a few k)
- Better interior electronics
- more configurable performance
- cooled seats is an option
- much roomier rear seat
- .9% financing for 5 years

Cons:
- Exterior. I find the Audi much more attractive, and more stealth. The BMW looks really good in-person, including the front-end, but it's nowhere near as good looking to me.
- Will be much more common versus the RS5 (eventually).
- I prefer the RS5 interior overall, even with the ipad looking center screen.

RS5
Pros:
- Styling. this is the biggest for me...I just love the way the car looks, especially in Turbo Blue (see below). Just looks incredibly sexy, inside and out (except for the center screen).
- Likely a better daily driver. BMW definitely seems to be more performance-focused, less comfort-focused. That being said, I previously had an E93 M3. Didn't love everything about it, but I was very ok with it's "rawness". Then again, I didn't daily drive it.
- less common (or at least will be once the BMW's all get out on the street eventually).
- Can add a tune and get performance likely on par with the BMW or at least close to it.

Cons:
- actually slightly more expensive than a similarly equipped M4
- cramped rear seat (not a big one as it won't get used much, but the M4 rear seat is surprisingly roomy)
- less performance tuning configurable options come standard
- No .9% financing
- Center screen looks like an afterthought
- no cooled seats (wtf?)

Truth is that everything pretty much points towards the BMW with the exception of styling...but the styling is huge for me (heck, I love admiring my '74 Bronco in the garage and it has absolutely no performance on the street). Anyway, still thinking it all through, but I gotta say that this pic keeps pulling me back to the RS5 (even though the color is clearly not very stealth)...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0