Quote:
Originally Posted by amuk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jproos View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
I was finally able to take the car out after a long while and the Michelin PA5 winter tires are more like a good all-season. For snow and ice like we get in Minnesota and combined with a RWD, you need a real, 'extreme' winter tire to be comfortable.

Setting off up a hill from a stop with compacted snow, you're going to lean on DSC while still only using 15 mm of the gas pedal travel. Expected and doable, but after years of AWD in the winter, it's still going to take some time to get used to it.
I think your the first person I've seen with this view.

They are a performance winter in fairness and not an extreme studless snow tire, but all of the reviews have had them coming out very close to the top in all sorts of snow and on inclines so was surprised by your review.

If you hit the gas on an incline from a stand still it's not unrealistic to expect some light traction control interjection.

For me the main thing is can I get to where I need to get to, without feeling like I'm not in control of the car. You're always going to have to be more cautious in snow either way. Hammering a RWD car with 500 BHP on an incline in snow is always going to be a bit of an issue. Maybe getting used to it not being a 4 wheel drive is the bigger factor than the tires?
I share that opinion. I had them one of my previous cars for 2 years and was a bit disappointed. They were not much better than good all-seasons, in my experience.

I'm in Michigan
Which winter tire do you prefer instead?
I had a better experience with Blizzaks.

My wife currently has vredesteins on her X3 M40i on they seem to be excellent. My all-season continentals on my M3 are getting me through this winter pretty well so far but I've been actively avoiding deep snow
Appreciate 1
amuk148.00