10-01-2020, 08:45 AM   #59
Rick955
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMGCFP View Post
Car manufactures have a conundrum. People want state of the art computers, heads up displays, Apple car play, heated and cooled seats, a 500hp motor, they want 30mpg, want it to rumble like a V8, corner like it's on rails, do an 11 second quarter mile, and go 0-60 in like 2.9 seconds. They want to haul their kids around in it, have enough trunk space for their stuff, and they want the car to have huge brakes and weigh 3200 lbs. Oh and it should cost less than $85k.

The marketing people at BMW M know what people want. They are selling more M cars than ever before. They don't care about rarity or exclusivity, they want to move units at the highest profit possible.

I get that some of you don't like the direction, so maybe it's time to move away from the brand. Problem is, most manufacturers are doing similar things.
Yup. That's pretty much it. BMW has been sticking the 'M' badge on just about everything. In recent years even power and capability has approached that of the true M cars! I don't want an M3 that's just a suped-up M340! I want it to be different. They sure managed to do that with these (at least from the appearance aspect)! When I first saw the renders I said to myself... OMG, no way... they won't look like that! Sure enough... here we are! I may not be drooling over that grill either, but it won't prevent me from getting one.

If BMW maintains the status quo they know sales will fall. The new generation of owners coming into M territory seem to want the "Transformers" like appearance... aggressive and perhaps a bit over the top. BMW's people aren't dopes. It's about sales and it sounds like customers are already lining up for this... regardless of all the negative comments here. They know they'll piss of some purists and they could care less... they want to attract the new audience, and that won't include all of us here nor do they care what media reviewers say either! I've had two F80's over six years and I rarely saw other F80's in my area. I have a feeling we'll see many more of these running around 5 years from now. So either you're going to like it or not and BMW is betting many more will than won't!

Last edited by Rick955; 10-01-2020 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 4
SYT_Shadow11490.00
heavyD^23688.50
f80er2056.00
VetteGuy845.50