View Single Post
      10-01-2020, 02:14 AM   #51
RevNev
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
You should read up on the CS development. There was a fair bit of wind tunnel work by BMW to improve aerodynamic downforce on the CS, the front splitter, vented hood and rear gurney work in unison to generate net downforce and keep the overall front/rear downforce in balance.

The GT4 wing moves it up to another level, but you also need the massive front splitter to keep things in balance.
I've read all the technical development I can find in relation to the F82 chassis and although the CS aero creates downforce, it's less than the GTS and GT4. Components that aren't the full (GT4)package, have a "rice component" and are primarily purchased to enhance visual or like the MP exhaust that does nothing power wise, audio appeal. The majority of aero component sales aren't for downforce betterment at 200+ kmph, it's for visual appeal (because it looks good) don't you agree?

The CS gurney could have been better integrated into the boot lid tail than looking like a universal "rice shop" fitment plonked on the boot lid 2" short of it's rearward extremity. The "high kick" aftermarket versions of the MP spoiler that does integrate well into the boot lid tail would likely be as aerodynamically effective if not more so than the CS "rice like" gurney. Perhaps the G80/82 grill guy designed the CS gurney aesthetics?

Last edited by RevNev; 10-01-2020 at 02:24 AM..
Appreciate 0