View Single Post
      09-30-2020, 02:33 PM   #45
Jcali86
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80er View Post
I don't ever remember seeing your SN on the F8x forums so I just assume you never owned one?
Nope, never owned an F80, I would have had an RS5 if I stayed in London but I quit my job and moved to the US to get married, so couldn't afford any car.

Quote:
BMW provided a subtly aggressive, distinguishable and fully capable platform in the F8Xs. Time will tell if the G platform will deliver the same but with what we know so far they may have missed that mark So I don't get where you are coming from,. Also saying DINKs like you were looking at Audi, Alpha and AMG are now looking at M3s makes no sense either? These brands have always been competitors, the only difference is Audi and Merc did away with MTs and Alpha is a bust...again. But people who bought F8s for sure cross shopped all of those brands and then some. You then go on to say the M3 is harder to distinguish from a regular 3 series but an M4 is easier? Yet you can identify most cars on the road regardless? That statement along with your other ones leads me to believe you really don't have an informed opinion on any of this.
The F80 to you looks subtly aggressive and distinguishable because you own one and are biased. I've been into cars for as long as I can remember, can quote the bhp, torque, price etc of nearly every interesting car that exists today off the top of my head. The F80 styling is bland and far too subtle, I'm not talking about the following LCI, CS etc that tried to rectify that, the standard M3 looks like a base 3 series with a few options added from a distance, that's what I'm comparing it to. Not saying the current RS and AMG models are easier to tell apart from the lesser models, but we'll see them follow BMW in altering that.
When I say "younger DINKs", I'm really meaning millennial DINKs, should have been clearer. The Gen X who bought the F80 when it released are now pushing into their early and late 40's and older, who at my age liked the subtle and blander looks of the F80 (and RS and AMG models), but the majority of people like me don't want that now; they want aggressive and something that stands out. Same reason they won't buy the RS5 or AMG offerings currently, but the previous buyers did, now BMW want the current buyers of AMG and Audi, who want tech, comfort, power and AWD, to buy this M3. I'm sure there are others my age and younger who still like the subtle looks and will opt for the Audi/Mercedes current offerings, but I guarantee they are in the minority, like the minority of people on this forum; if you think this forum resonates to the majority of people looking to buy this car you're very wrong. Social media comments from people who were never going to buy it anyway are irrelevant as well.

Quote:
I will agree with you on one thing, you are the absolute targeted audience for this car. Someone who wants a 'look at me in my $90k car' and that's fine for you. But for the rest of us its just not what we expected BMW to deliver. Whether I move into one I don't know but it certainly won't be because I want a car that will let everyone know that I have made it in this life.
I don't need a 'look at me I've made it' car, but if I'm spending $90k it's nice to know people don't mistake it for an m340i, yes. BMW know a lot of their potential buyers want that as well. The audience is people like me that don't care about manual, lightness and a basic interior and want power, tech, some comforts and usability with track ability and is fun, but isn't too expensive, isn't bland to look at and is, hopefully, comfortable and usable with the option of AWD, in other words potential RS and AMG buyers as well BMW M fans that wanted things the F80 didn't have that I've already gone over.
It sucks times have moved on for people like yourself, but it is what it is. The next M3 is going to 100% be a hybrid, and we'll all have to accept that as well when the times comes. The i8 makes me excited for that honestly.

Quote:
Finally how do you know nothing comes close the G80? Because BMW and the paid youtuber shills told you so? You haven't driven one let alone sat in one.
Name a car that isn't on a 6+ year old platform (everything out right now), isn't about to be replaced with a hybrid (AMG) and doesn't cost more than $90k (RS5), with a good dealer network (Alfa), that can carry 4 people, comes with tech, is fast, looks awesome (subjective but the G80 is the nicest looking sedan on the market right now for me), can be tracked and also do a 4+ hour drive comfortably with 4 people in it? I don't need someone from YouTube to tell me nothing comes close to the G80 and I don't need to sit in one either, it's obvious.