View Single Post
      08-21-2019, 02:43 PM   #120
Ras550
Private
Rep
Drives: Now:3P, Then:335xi,330ZHP,540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf72 View Post
Yep, long road trips are a pain. I have to stop every 150-200 miles at a supercharger for about 45 minutes. It's not that big of a deal if I'm by myself. But I'm usually not by myself and the family has gotten over the novelty of the supercharger. Now the Model S stays home and we take my wife's X5 on road trips.

The worst idea, as I learned, is to go on a trip and stay overnight at a place that does not offer charging. The supercharger was "only" 25 miles away. But if you do any driving around, you have to drive 50 miles round trip to charge. Not doing that again.

Having said that, an EV for day-to-day commuting is better than ICE. I plug in every night and don't even think about range.
I just finished my longest road trip: ~4k miles on my 3P with my family. I found the breaks restful, and too often the car had finished charging (15-25 minutes most of the time) but we weren't done with our lunch/coffee etc. Perhaps it's because the 3 supports higher fast charging speeds than the S (and not to mention 310 miles of range on the 3P vs 259 on the S75)?

Plus my kid enjoys playing beach buggy on the big screen a lot better than anything on his Switch's tiny screen.

My previous longest road trip was ~5 years ago in my 335xi: ~3.5k miles miles. Also great trip, just the recent one with the 3 was more fun, more restful and overall more enjoyable for me.
Appreciate 0