View Single Post
      08-19-2019, 06:25 PM   #119
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
I think the whole rhetoric against Tesla by saying they need a car that can go on a road trip is stupid. Most people drive their cars 30 miles a day and rarely drive more than 100 miles between parking in their garage.

However, going on a road trip in a Tesla severely limits your options. The charge time is long, you have to find a place to plug in once you get where you're going, the supercharging network is hardly ubiquitous enough to go anywhere, and you definitely cannot be taking the most optimal routes or stopping anywhere you want. You have to stop where the supercharger are which wastes even more time than stopping where you want to stop and filling up at the gas station that is inevitably at pretty much every rest stop and tourist attraction you'll go to.
Yep, long road trips are a pain. I have to stop every 150-200 miles at a supercharger for about 45 minutes. It's not that big of a deal if I'm by myself. But I'm usually not by myself and the family has gotten over the novelty of the supercharger. Now the Model S stays home and we take my wife's X5 on road trips.

The worst idea, as I learned, is to go on a trip and stay overnight at a place that does not offer charging. The supercharger was "only" 25 miles away. But if you do any driving around, you have to drive 50 miles round trip to charge. Not doing that again.

Having said that, an EV for day-to-day commuting is better than ICE. I plug in every night and don't even think about range.
Appreciate 0