View Single Post
      02-12-2019, 12:24 AM   #58
Ras550
Private
Rep
Drives: Now:3P, Then:335xi,330ZHP,540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsully View Post
I tested a Tesla Model 3 Performance for the bulk of a weekend and it turned me in to a believer. To preface, I am a BMW guy through and through having owned several over the years including a F80 as my current driver.

My wife is an EV nut and has a close friend who works at Tesla, so that led us down the road of testing one for a few days. That said, below are my impressions from each category (at least the ones that matter most to me):

Performance:

Wow... just wow. I've driven in some very fast cars, but stepping on the gas pedal in this is like nothing I've ever experienced. The way bolts off the line with so little effort is almost dream like, no spooling, no lag, just point it and let it fly. I was also extremely impressed with the handling, as the car really did not show its weight. Really sharp dynamics with tight steering and almost no roll, which might not be completely on par with my F80 but is about 90% for sure.

Interior:

This is an interesting one, as when you first sit in the car, it is extremely jarring as you need to adjust to its spartan nature. No gear shift obviously, no buttons, just you a steering wheel and a screen. You do get used to that eventually, but again it's just very different.

From a materials perspective, I wouldn't say that they are on par with my F80, but it's closer than you would think. I'd probably put them right on par with some of the entry level BMWs (which can be good or bad depending on your viewpoint). Certainly not as bad as some make them out to be, but merely ok.

Exterior:

I was only kind of lukewarm on this car in pictures, but I was pleasantly surprised I saw it in the flesh (Black Model 3 performance). Maybe it was just this particular color on the car, but it really stood out to me, especially with the 20in wheels and red brakes.

One gripe though that became especially apparent when we returned the car, is that there is very little differentiation between a 70k performance model and a 40k base. You get the wheels, brakes a spoiler and some badging, but that's it. This is where my F80 really stands out, as BMW has perfected making the Ms something special. Granted, our car didn't have the spoiler or the badging installed yet, but I'm not sure that would be a huge difference anyway.

Overall, I went from dismissing the car entirely to seriously considering one for my next car. Again I don't own one nor am I a Tesla mouthpiece, so I hope this provides a decent non-biased review for those that might be wondering about the car.
Good to see an unbiased review from a current bmw owner. I'd owned only bmws for 15 years before I took a test drive in a P3 and was instantly sold. (Technically we still have a bmw in the family - my wife's JCW Mini)

I think your point about the P3 not being differentiated enough from a regular model 3 is valid and may deter some people. It's more like the M5 does not look that different from a regular m-sport 540i. Not like the M3 which looks a lot more aggressive than a 340i. Tesla's design language is a lot more understated.
Appreciate 2