Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G30M View Post
interesting, i was told the Competition had improved damping, was yours a Comp?

steel brakes?

presumably most of the AC was channelled to cool the engine
I buried this early on in the thread - sorry for the confusion.

I had a 2019 M5 Base (the Comp I test drove at the time felt quite rough on my city streets.) At 17 months, my dealer sent me a letter saying to "Come on down and get a new (2021) LC M5 - and we'll keep your payments the same." I was already at 22,000 miles. So, I went down. They only had 2 M5s on the lot - both LCI Comps, which I was dying to try out anyway, since they really put in a nice suspension upgrade - you are correct. After 2 minutes I knew it was a huge improvement over my pre-LCI Base. The Comp was an $8,000 upgrade at the time, but somehow I was able to wangle a killer deal and drove away with it for about $50/mo more and a fresh new warranty - and wiped 22,000 miles off the clock. The car had a much more enjoyable ride for sure, but small pavement imperfections, manhole covers and potholes eventually drove me batty. It's not horrible, I just felt a $125,000 car should just ride better. Especially when my 3 series loaner didn't bang over the same spots.

Yes, they were steel brakes. There's about 50 threads on the M5 and M8 forums talking about noisy brakes. This was before the Isweep brakes came out, I believe, which a lot of forum members swear by. They are way quieter and eliminate most of the dust - which is totally nuts on the M5.

My M850 brakes have never squealed once and the dust is manageable. The M3 poster currently at the top of the front page is complaining about the noise and dust, and why a car of this caliber and cost has to put up with it. The struggle is real my friends.

A/C re-routed to cool the engine........... You might have something there.

Last edited by snowbimmer; 04-20-2024 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 3
G30M3942.00
Hedoniste3883.50