aremmell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M4 Comp xDrive

Garage List
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
I did 14.25" front and back gap from the center of the wheel hub to the fenders edge with my KW HAS kit. That is not slammed, but its not stock height either. I have about 1 finger gap front and back from tire to wheel well. I orginally had it set to 14" from the wheel center hub to fenders, but found the ride to be "jarring". 14.25" keep the ride quality nice and still looked good to me.
Yours looks perfect!

My dealership's service foreman told me that the maximum allowable amount of lowering from stock is 10mm, or your drivetrain warranty is kaput. It's not that I'm worried about losing the warranty; I'm going to automatically lose it next week when I do a stage 1 CarBahn flash tune. I'm concerned because I don't want to put undue / excessive stress on the xDrive system by changing the angle of the axles outside of their intended range.

Yours is an xDrive, right? Do you drive your car hard (i.e. launch control, "spirited" driving through the twisties, taking all your friends for a ride so you can scare the hell out of them, etc.)? At 14.25", have you had any issues at all, such as:
  • Weird noises
  • Decrease in ride quality/drivability/performance
  • CELs?
  • Hitting the bump stops
  • Scraping on driveways/speed bumps

The reason I ask is because as far as I can glean from the data tables in the instructions, page 4. (NOTE: the version on their website has different values, and is 2 years older than than the one that came in my kit, so I'm going off of the newer one), 14.25" is below the minimum for the rear on my car (14.4").

My document says that for my M4 Comp xDrive, the min/max values for distance "B" (fender edge to wheel hub center) are as follows:

Front:
Min = 355mm / 14.0"
Max = If M3SQRD is correct about the ratio of mm change in the adjustment being a factor, rather than one-to-one at 0.96: 372.27mm / 14.66"

Rear:
Min = 365mm / 14.4"
Max = at 0.57: 382.54mm / 15.06"

However, you've got the G80 Comp xDrive, and the min/max values for distance "B" on your car are:

Front:
Min = 355mm / 14.0"
Max = at 0.96: 372.27mm / 14.66"

Rear:
Min = 339mm / 13.34"
Max = at 0.57: 356.54mm / 14.03"

This is quite curious! Your car, with the same KW kit, has identical numbers for the front, but the rear is radically different (M3SQRD can let us know what's going on probably, since he's an actual engineer. The minimums are the values from the KW docs, but I am extrapolating the max by dividing the allowable range of the adjuster by the factor to get the resulting adjustment range: for example, if the adjuster's range is 10mm: 10/0.57 = 17.54 -> 339+17.54 = 356.54).

This can't be correct, or at the highest possible adjustment on your rear, you'd be below your 14.25" that you have... so now I need to know where the discrepancy is; is it in the KW document? Is it in my math? Is it in the ratio values M3SQRD provided? Is it in my understanding of how this works?

This has been my struggle for the last few days; if my rear's minimum is truly 14.4" then here's what I am thinking: since I took measurements before I installed the kit, I know that the rear was 10mm taller than the front from the factory. That means that if I place the fronts at 14.25", my rears should be at 14.64", right?! There must be a good reason that BMW had the rear 10mm higher than the front, so now I'm stuck, until someone with more experience doing this type of thing (this is my first adjustable lowering kit) tells me what the right thing to do here is...

Anyone? I apologize for the lengthy post, but I have nowhere else to get these answers from. I will write KW but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you guys have on this.
Appreciate 0