Dnshift
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 M3 Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaroBaapG35 View Post
Nice! I've always wanted to get back into a project car :/ I sold mine unfortunately couple years ago to get my parents a new car. Now I should've just gave them the project car (2005 G35 AT) which apparently my dad loved driving cuz it was powerful vs his Altima LOL.

So, in terms of the valve controller; I had the CG Precision VSC-2 on the X3M. It was a 10min install and it worked amazingly. The pumped in fake audio in these cars is BRUTAL (if you're used to hearing an actual exhaust from cars). I was coming from a Audi S4 with AWE Track Exhaust with Resonated Downpipes, so getting into an SUV with 1.4x the HP, I was expecting some sound, but even my stock 370z was louder then the X3M.

In terms of quality, VSC-2 was good, but I wouldn't buy it for any vehicle lower then the X3M/X4M. I bought it before they updated their notes to NOT install on the exhaust hanger which is where 90% of people who bought it were installing it at the time. Plus this install leaves the controller prone to water damage. So after my back/forth with them I reinstalled the new one to the heatshield bolt, and it was perfect after.

Now, for the M3 since the car is already low, installing the VSC in either hanger/heatshield bolt won't work, which is why I'm going to the SST this time around. Same functions (actually more) and nearly the same price.

Sound wise: Interior Stock sound X3M was 4/10 and I'm giving that high because the ASD noises "help" due to the great sound insulation. From outside, its a 5/10 because its louder.

After the Valve controller, OMFG, it sounds [...]
This is super helpful, thanks for the detailed overview, that SST definitely looks like the best option in terms of build quality, price and functionality. Did you already pick one up?
Appreciate 0