02-23-2024, 11:34 AM   #33
TaroBaapG35
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 Model S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnshift View Post
LOL, I’m in the same boat. I also tinker with a 67 GTO and apparently one project car is enough , can’t say I agree but ya know.

Can you share more on the valve controller and your experience with your X3M?
Nice! I've always wanted to get back into a project car :/ I sold mine unfortunately couple years ago to get my parents a new car. Now I should've just gave them the project car (2005 G35 AT) which apparently my dad loved driving cuz it was powerful vs his Altima LOL.

So, in terms of the valve controller; I had the CG Precision VSC-2 on the X3M. It was a 10min install and it worked amazingly. The pumped in fake audio in these cars is BRUTAL (if you're used to hearing an actual exhaust from cars). I was coming from a Audi S4 with AWE Track Exhaust with Resonated Downpipes, so getting into an SUV with 1.4x the HP, I was expecting some sound, but even my stock 370z was louder then the X3M.

In terms of quality, VSC-2 was good, but I wouldn't buy it for any vehicle lower then the X3M/X4M. I bought it before they updated their notes to NOT install on the exhaust hanger which is where 90% of people who bought it were installing it at the time. Plus this install leaves the controller prone to water damage. So after my back/forth with them I reinstalled the new one to the heatshield bolt, and it was perfect after.

Now, for the M3 since the car is already low, installing the VSC in either hanger/heatshield bolt won't work, which is why I'm going to the SST this time around. Same functions (actually more) and nearly the same price.

Sound wise: Interior Stock sound X3M was 4/10 and I'm giving that high because the ASD noises "help" due to the great sound insulation. From outside, its a 5/10 because its louder.

After the Valve controller, OMFG, it sounds REALLY good from the outside. Basically how it should've sounded STOCK. Its a deep, throaty sound (characteristic of BMW TTs), but smooth. So it went to 8/10 outside and a good 7/10 inside. If I would've kept the car I was going to AA Single Midpipe and it would've been 10/10 since with the valves closed you can just make out the exhaust sound and on open it sounds glorious.

Sorry for long response, but hopefully it helps!
Appreciate 1
Dnshift158.00