View Single Post
      02-21-2024, 07:14 AM   #12
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostin FD View Post
Sorry, one more dumb question... As far as the years are concerned... I've always, kind of, avoided the first year model... e46's and e92's had the Rod Bearing issues... f82 had that crank hub crap... is there something going on with the G series?

Would there be a reason to avoid 2021 models? I know that the 2024 have that giant screen with the new iDrive... but since i'm only considering a manual (which now i've learned doesn't come with that many options), is there something to watch out for?

Thanks again!
My car (6MT M3) was the first one delivered in my metro in March of 2021 and I've had zero issues with it over 18k miles and 3 years. That's just one car but there hasn't been any loud noise about first-year problems. The only downside to 2021 cars is that AWD wasn't available yet on the Competition models. For Manual cars, the model year only matters for the interior screens, really.

The one big concern folk have right now is across all the years, and that's the exposed oil cooler under the front of the car. The F8x M3, M4, and M2C all had the oil cooler in the same place and it was never a wide-spread issue...just catastrophic for the few that get unlucky. Many people are adding protectors to the oil cooler for peace of mind (I have one on the way to me despite never having an issue with it on my M2C or my current M3).

There are multiple very long threads about the oil cooler. It looks like a more scary problem than it is (again, except for the couple of unlucky folk).
Appreciate 1