02-15-2024, 10:18 AM   #12
shwayne5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 2019 View Post
No, the car is as stable as a rock. What I meant is that as a person increases in their knowledge of and ability in track driving they start to push harder and faster. It's natural, we all do it, and it's very satisfying to realize the improvement in our ability that we have made.

There are four ways to increase your speed around a track. The first is to become a better driver. Hopefully this is happening over time with more experience. Second is to increase the power of the car. You are wise not to fall into this. The car has plenty of power to keep you busy and involved. Third you can increase your speed through the corners. This can be achieved through changes to the suspension system (track oriented shocks, struts, and springs) and or the addition of more camber in the front wheels (camber plates). Fourth is installing specialized racing tires. All of these things really do work, but you would be wise to focus on learning your car and becoming a more experienced driver first before spending big bucks on the odds and ends.

As to the brakes, the front pads are fine for now, but watch the rear pads like a hawk. They are very small and incapable of dissipating heat very rapidly. Braking at higher speeds means faster wear. They will wear out quickly, and you could end up scoring your rear rotors if you don't pay attention. I wore out the new OEM rears in a single day. If you are going to continue tracking the car you will eventually have to switch to tougher, more track oriented brake pads or you will be going through the OEM rears like toilet paper. There is [...]
Rear brakes won’t wear so quickly if you turn DSC off and leave MDM on. Camber plates will preserve your front tires a little longer. Brake cooling ducts or at the very least removing brake vent covers will help cool the fronts. Stock rotors are decent but I’d probably switch to a track oriented pad.
Appreciate 0