View Single Post
      02-13-2024, 05:06 PM   #27
SwankPeRFection
Major
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Torque specs are designed to prevent failures of the bolts and fasteners, which can happen in a thing moving fast, vibrating, and generally not standing still during high stress situations.

ipilcher Here's a reddit thread that has some good info in it: https://old.reddit.com/r/AskEngineer...ue_values_for/
You’re not building an engine here. I know how and why torque specs exist and if you’re incapable of working on the most basic things on cars without your torque wrench, well…. maybe don’t work on them. I’ve changed oil on cars for years and on my current one for 200k miles and tightened the filter housing by hand/feel without any issues and same with the drain bolt. For lugs I choose to use a torque wrench but again, I could easily do it without and it would be fine, it’s just personal preference. Important stuff like suspension or engine mounts or other stuff, yeah, use a torque wrench, but if you can’t install some front lip fasteners without popping one because you ham fisted it, maybe you deserve to so that you learn. I honestly don’t know ANYONE who busts out a small torque wrench to install fasteners for underbody trays or protectors. It’s literally a laughable concept, but that’s just me. I can’t imagine how much someone would get laughed at looking up and torquing fasteners when installing mud flaps. 🤣

And listen, I’m not picking on the guy who asked the question or laughing at him for doing so, all I’m saying is that he’s overthinking it. He literally needs to learn and realize that when he takes that screw out, he’ll be able to tell how much force it took to break loose. Use that same info when you put it back on. It’s literally just that… way too much worrying… get under there and put your hands on the stuff and you’ll soon learn that it’s not brain surgery. Don’t overthink, just work on the car and enjoy it.

Last edited by SwankPeRFection; 02-13-2024 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 0