Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Garage List
2002 Mspec Nur  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lo_down View Post
Hi all,

New here, but not new to bmw Figured I would share my experience since car theft has been a hot topic in NJ these days.

I was carjacked while washing my 2022 X3 M40i in my driveway in broad daylight in September 2022. A dark gray/blue X5 without plates (likely an individual color, close to Orinoco Metallic if I has to guess) pulled up and someone in a ski mask/gloves started my car and flew out of my driveway. The GPS was ripped out within minutes (last location a vacant garage in Irvington). I live in Union County and it turned up 72 hours later in East Orange parked in an assigned parking spot.

All things considered, it was recovered in pretty immaculate condition, minus the heavy smoke stench, dutch guts, and cigarette ashes— still have a few cigarette burns in the carpet that I need to deal with.

To add insult to injury, I ended up getting a speeding ticket, courtesy of a NYC dept of finance from a red light camera for "speeding in a school zone," and ended up being forced to pay it because even after I presented police reports, repair orders from the shop, etc, the judge claimed I "could have recovered my car" by the offense date.

Fast forward to last month, there was another attempted theft. This time at 5am, they pulled on the handles and then proceeded to the backyard with a crow bar, presumably to find the key fob (in a faraday box). Something scared them away, not sure what... I do have dogs, so that's my guess.

Since my baby was stolen, I've installed more sophisticated tracking, and hid a few air tags. Next step [...]
IGLA is like Pandora and maybe the same product renamed. Good to hear Pandora is coming to States cause we badly need it. Found 2 shops around NYC that said they could install IGLA for $2000. Found them on a Reddit post. One in E. Orange NJ and other one in Smithtown LI if I recall correctly.
My concern with Dahler unit is the car will still roll when put in drive in automatic tranny. Might work to stop the theft of a manual car though since it cuts power to accelerator/gas pedal.

I got starterstopper which is a passive kill switch installed and works great except for car jacking situation. I guess with car running I can turn off the car and throw them the key and run the other way or press the auto on/off button before getting out, the car will shut off at red light and they won’t be able to restart it.

PM me your tracking solution. I am curious.
2014 S4 APR stg1 444hp retired
2010 335d; 2004 WRX wagon; 1994 300ZX -retired
Appreciate 0