12-27-2023, 09:35 PM   #22
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR_///M3 View Post
Agreed - good explanation.
This is about ‘primary’ ride and ‘secondary’ ride.
The former is about how undulating the surface is and the latter about how rough the surface, either continuously, like a worn concrete surface, or discretely, like holes, joints, etc.
On an undulating surface, with a lot of primary ride input, comfort likely will feel somewhat underdamped - either ‘floaty’ or ‘bouncy’.
Comfort, however, feels very good on a road with low primary input but a lot of secondary input.
Sport feels great when there is a lot of primary input as it will feel more planted, but it will transmit a lot of secondary input and may feel harsh on such a surface.
Where you live and the type of roads that are prevalent will almost certainly determine whether comfort or sport is preferred for ‘normal’ driving.
FYI - overall, I think the spring/damper settings in the G8X are much better than the F8X in all modes…
The suspension in then F80 is 100% the reason I didn’t buy one. I drove so many for 4 years, up through the comp pack and I think the LCI. The ride here in Houston was just too unielding. Comfort was barely tolerable. Sport and Sport plus….forget it. This lead to huge traction issues as well.

The G80 is much more resolved. It’s not soft. But the damping is much more sophisticated. Don’t have any issues and it deals with bumps extremely well.
Appreciate 4