View Single Post
      06-18-2023, 08:53 AM   #54
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

The ironic thing is that a Porsche CAN be a good daily if you're willing to make a few small sacrifices. They really are very usable cars compared to other high performance cars. And their reliability is second to none when compared to any exotic. Having said that....

...they are still small sports cars (the Panamera and SUV's excluded). And with that comes the compromises of a sports car. Small, not much luggage space, no flexibility in luggage space, loud, low, etc.

I've owned 2 911's and 2 Cayennes. Currently own the old and new Cayennes and a 997.2 Turbo. Some of you may have seen This Thread about my current situation. I'm 99.9% planning on selling the 997 Turbo and getting a G80.

It's a little bit dumb, really. The Turbo has 33,500 miles and likely I could drive it to 60k and not lose much value at all. It's the last of the old school 911's with the engine completely behind the rear axle, hydraulic steering, thin door cards, etc. The last one built by Porsche before the VAG influence. But for my use case, it's just kind of a PITA. Total first world problems, but with kids, running errands, going to lunch at work, etc. it's a sacrifice to have a 2 seater. Yesterday I wanted to bring a small box home from my dad's apartment, and I ended up having to wedge it in the back and barely actually got it in the car with the passenger seat all the way forward and tilted to get it in. I wouldn't have been able to have a passenger. And while we do still have 2 Cayennes, that means planning my trips which I've been doing since December and is kind of a pain.

If I lived in an area with an abundance of good roads and smooth-ish highways I could make it work. But around here the road noise is awful. Steady cruise on the highway is 80-82 dB which doesn't sound like a lot but it's loud. Very loud. If I take it to the hill country for 1/2 a day when I get back my tinnitus is ringing and I have trouble understanding people speaking. It's just the nature of a sports car. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Also, Porsche is getting stupid with their $$. Our 2014 Cayenne was leagues better than an X5 for about 15% more money. It was a no brainer, IMO. Our 2023 was 50% more than a fully loaded X5 50e and, IMO, the gap between the two is considerably lower. And the 911 pricing is just bonkers. $170 MSRP on a GTS? Not long ago that was a nice 991.2 GT3. Turbo S's are going for mid to high $200k mark on the used market. I mean, come on.

But having said that, Porsche still is THE driver's car. I was reminded of that when I finally made it to the Ring two weeks ago. I'd say 60-70% of the cars were either a Porsche or a BMW. It's nuts. Go on racetracker.de (the photo site where you can buy pics of the car running during TF) and filter for BMW or Porsche. SO MANY CARS. They just work. They have the DNA. BMW still does, although their mainstream products are really losing touch. Porsche still definitely does but it's very $$$. But you feel it when you drive them, even the SUV's. And a Taycan is still sportier than any BMW sedan bar the M cars despite being electric. You can feel the secret sauce they put in their cars the moment you drive them.

I'm glad I've had 911's for 6 years and will be sad to be giving mine up to a certain extent. But we'll still have the Cayenne and I know plenty of Porsche buddies that will let me scratch the itch when I need to.

Funnily enough, when I bought my first 911 in 2016, I was shopping for a daily for myself. I drove the hell out of the F80, C63 and others. The F80 ALMOST made the cut. I mean, I had the whole thing planned...San Marino Blue, Euro Delivery, the whole 9 yards. But I just could NOT fall in love with that car. It just rode too stiff and couldn't put the power down. I got the 911 while I still had a few months left on my Lexus lease and quickly figured out before I got rid of it that the 911 was NOT going to work as a daily. So when the Lexus lease was up, I leased a GTI as a daily. Right away I knew the 911 was too compromised for MY lifestyle daily.

Edit...I will also say that the "Porsche scene" is highly dependent on where you are and how much time you spend IRL vs. the forums. I'm lucky to have an absolutely fantastic PCA chapter where I live in Houston. There is a GTG / Cars and Coffee every week, many weeks there are two locations since the city is so large. And no, those aren't lame, because we stand around and greet each other as friends and spend way more time talking about life than the cars. Most of the people don't have a collection, or if they do, it's not a ritzy one. There are way more Boxsters than RS's and after a while you've already seen 80% of the cars. Plus, we ALL drive. There are multiple drive events each month, both sanctioned and unsanctioned. Autocross, track events, dinners, etc. It's a fantastic community. Truth be told one of the biggest regrets I'll have selling the 911 is having to show up to the GTG's in the Cayenne, lol. But during the drives I'll take the M3 and more than keep up.

If you spend too much time on Rennlist, there are way too many threads on PTS and stitching colors. You'd be fooled into thinking that's what the Porsche scene has become. But at it's heart, there are still drivers there. And maybe less so now, they've gotten off the forums or use them for DIY and are too busy driving there cars. Believe me I see a lot of Porsche sports cars being driven, really driven, where I live.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 06-18-2023 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 5
somer973.50
bwoodahl236.50
T1M3LESS2275.50
Rambler208.50