View Single Post
      05-21-2023, 07:01 AM   #344
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonHornett View Post
You guys should try an M4 CSL. When I drove the M3 Competition, I thought it was a lovely car, but I couldn’t reconcile the price with the experience. I thought it handled well, was lovely inside, sounded nice but for me something was missing.

The M4 CSL feels nothing like the standard car. If you listen to or read the reviews of it (even the negative ones) you’ll pick up on this. The chassis is way more communicative even at low speed, the steering has more feel and the transmission is excellent, I don’t know exactly what they did with it but it’s way better than the transmission I tried in the M3. Interestingly, BMW uses the transmission in their GT4 race car, so it’s undoubtedly very capable, just tuned differently for different applications.

In its more aggressive modes, it’s an absolute monster. To say it’s fast feels like a massive underrepresentation of its capability. The brakes are mighty but could have a bit less assistance (one thing that none of the UK journos mentioned and was in fact universally praised). In fact having read the reviews my biggest disappointment with the car was the brakes, not stopping power but the feel of the pedal. Anyway, once you’re into a corner the car is amazing, you can feel what’s going on at the back, the balance is beautiful. I reckon you’d both love it.

In one of the more recent EVO articles, they compare the G81 M3 to the CSL and imply that the G81 is the better car? Makes absolutely no sense to me. I think that a lot UK journos were so put out that the CSL weighs 1625KG, they forgot to asses it properly and then told their mates.

All truly great drivers cars only need to be driven a few yards to feel the exquisite quality of their damping. Porsches (especially GT cars), Lotus, Caterham, Ferrari all have this, so does the Toyota GR86 (honestly that is a magnificent driver’s car) and the CSL has it too. I simply can’t wait to take it on a track day and see what it’s really capable of.
The M4 CSL is at a price point that would put me into something like a 911 Carrera GTS... which I would prefer no doubt... not that it's my price range either way.