View Single Post
      05-16-2023, 10:35 PM   #99
stoked335d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Garage List
2002 Mspec Nur  [10.00]
Was looking for stolen M discussion and found this thread.

My neighbor's '22 X3MC was stolen from our apt building's garage 10 days ago from waterfront Jersey City NJ building. An X5MC was stolen from another buildings garage in the neighborhood 2 weeks earlier. Read that another X3MC was gone in April from Westfield NJ!

In the case of our X3MC, we are assuming that an RF relay signal booster could have been used. Security footage that building management showed them his car been driven off around 1:00AM on a saturday. He found out the next day morning. Police could not provide a report right away and BMW NA would not cooporate to help locate it without a report even calling from a police precinct! BMW said how do we know you are telling the truth? WTF. He said to call the precinct but they would not. Last known location showed few blocks away with trunk open on phone app which most likely the time they disabled the car's OEM tracking right away.

This shit is on the rise so take your precautions. THe next day I bought a club that I have not used since the 90's and a wheel boot along with faraday pouches. I put my keys in a metal box at home that tested near and in the car with FOBs. I no longer leave my parking gate opener tag in the car. Stupid building management was forcing people to display it on rearview mirror with parking spot number but fuck that at this point since it is my paid spot.

I have few airtag's hidden in car that are hacked and no longer make audible noise even if a message pops on thieves phone saying there is an unknown airtag traveling with you.

Other great option I found is something called Ghost in UK or IGLA clone in the States. Its an advanced kill switch using OEM buttons in car that can be reconfiigured. Also has anti-carjacking and valet/service mode capability. The only 2 shops I found in the tri-state area asked for $2000 installed!. Told one of them rather have the car stolen at those prices. seriously! They install them on Hellcats for $1200.

There is also a Dahler anti-theft throttle device that kills the accelator. THe downside is if thieves can start the car they can put it in drive and slowly roll. This device would work on a 6 speed manual M3 though.

Another option was some archaic device called Ravelco. They claim they never lost a car in 46 years. Basically they install bunch of harnesses that connect to the car's starter and fuel injection system that would reqire hours to disable if someone tried to steal it. THey provide a physical multi pin key plug that goes into device interface which enables the car to start. THat was around $900 cash only by one couple who handles all East Coast installs.

Found an economical kill switch option from Australia called starterstopper. Can have up to 3 kill switches placed under any trim or hidden any part of the car that has to be pressed in order. Could be setup to force pressing 2 at same time then 3rd and whole bunch of other combinations. Only $70 for the device and gonna have my trusted Indy mechanic install it for me. The downside is I will lose remote start that I paid for lifetime membership and have to share the secret with anyone who drives my car. It's in transit and will install it in few weeks. It reminds me of a kill switch I had on my 300ZX during 90's. You had to press and hold the rear fog button while turning the key! Bell bottom pant are back in style and so is the car theft.
2014 S4 APR stg1 444hp retired
2010 335d; 2004 WRX wagon; 1994 300ZX -retired

Last edited by stoked335d; 05-16-2023 at 10:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
Aalfred2664.00