Private
Rep
Drives: '23 230i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by azuki View Post
Hi all,

Enjoying the car so far. But I'm interested in porsche next- once my lease is done would the updated model redesign 2025 (supposedly) 718 check off what a 230i covers and then some?
yes and no

coming from someone who has driven multiple BMWs and Porsches, I think the G42 more closely resembles older 911s than it does a Cayman or Boxster IMO - in that a base 911 is a classic grand tourer while a 718 is more of a true sports car - mid engine, lighter weight, for better balance.

that being said I think the reason why alot of folks feel the 718 is a natural progression from an F22 or G42 has to do with price - a Cayman is cheaper than a 911 - and size - 911s, just like most any car these days including BMWs have gotten larger. obviously there as many similarities as there are differences, but my 230i reminds me quite a lot of my dad's old 993 and 996. the sounds, steering feel, and driving dynamics are very different, but they are similar in terms of performance, interior dimensions, and how they both are just as comfortable gobbling highway miles as they are driving twisty canyon roads.

all this to say I think you'll find driving a 718 a more engaging and sporty experience than a G42, whereas a G42 provides more day to day comfort with a small compromise in sportiness...

and go test drive one! you are your own best critique!
Appreciate 1
stvward134.50