12-09-2022, 05:57 PM   #108
TheMaxXHD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G20 LCI M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
The quality of the iDrive 8 display is great! Much clearer and more vibrant than iDrive 7. I don’t know if it’s “officially” HD, but it sure is for all intents and purposes. It’s the design that is shit.

The cupholders in the E90 are like that because until the F25 X3 cupholders were an afterthought for BMW. Their opinion was “why does someone who’s driving a car need a cupholder?” European E9x’s didn’t have cupholders. There was a smooth trim piece in that space. Notice the cupholders in the E46. Right in front of the center armrest and behind the shifter. With a manual transmission, which was quite common, you couldn’t really shift and have a drink in the cupholder. They were in the same place in the E36, except they were an option and they were basically a retrofit to fit in a space that wasn’t designed for them. Cupholders were a concession to the U.S. market. Finally, with the F25 X3, BMW actually took cupholders into account as they designed the interior. They had BMWNA send over 7 Eleven Big Gulp cups to use in their designing.

Edit: I did a little research. It appears E36 cupholders were not actually available from BMW. They were an aftermarket add-on and there was more than one style. None of them very good.

E36 cupholder
E46 cupholder
Geez, and I thought the E90 cupholders were meh, those make the E90 cupholders look like a revolutionary design.
Appreciate 0