View Single Post
      08-15-2022, 03:55 PM   #75
hatepotholez
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
That's really the purpose of the faraday box.

A couple of years ago my friend had a Q60 and before his car got stolen, he saw 2 guys walking along the perimeter of his house. I guess they are scanning the key fob so they're trying to get close to it so the scanner can read the fob.

But not all faraday boxes are created equal. The one i bought on amazon, some people have tested it somehow. I figure if thieves have access to these scanners, other regular people who aren't thieves can too. But one amazon person took the box with the fob inside and walked up to his car and the car wouldn't unlock (like with keyless entry). But perhaps some cars are better than others as well with this type of safety/signal? I don't know.

In the end, i think if someone wants your car they can get it. But i think these faraday boxes, or even wrapping that box in foil like i did, can at least help. Or maybe make the thief think twice and they can move on.

But around where i am, if someone wants your car they'll get it without you around or in front of you, with force. Which happened to my friend with his scat pack. 3 dudes literally took it by force.
I did a quick test with a faraday pouch from Amazon and worked pretty good. I walked upto my car and it didn't unlock, I took it out of the pouch and the car unlocked. I have 2 pouches, one for the spare key and one for the regular one that I keep in the house.
Appreciate 2
BGM-M3COMP2329.50