View Single Post
      07-17-2022, 08:29 PM   #3
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O_Doc View Post
Although it's still warm, I've picked up an extra set of wheels as my M2 is a 4 season daily driver and I'll need an alternative to summer-only tires soon. But there's a catch.

Discussions of cold tolerant tires often turn to snow/wet traction capabilities and rightly so in most cases. My needs are a little different, however. What I need isn't a winter (snowflake) tire per se as I won't take the M2 out if there is any appreciable chance of snow. And probably similar for rain. What I really need is the tire that can grip dry pavement the best in low temperatures to below freezing (say as low as -10° C but with most days in around 0-5° C). Most of my daily driving never elevates the tire temperature much (short trips).

I've run Pilot All Season 4s and have been happy with them. The Continental DWS06 read like they are as good, maybe better. That said, reviews incorporate a variety of criteria that are less important to may particular interests (e.g. wet handling, light snow).

So, if anyone has an opinion on a best or better option for a cold weather dry pavement tire that grips well, please advise.
I had the same requirements a few years ago and went with Blizzak lm-32. This is perf winter tire with stiffer sidewall that provides better steering feedback compared to typical mushy snow tire but they are also excellent in heavy rain, sleet and snow. I used them in ny, pa, nj, de, md and never had an issue and even drove thru 2-3 in of snow with my former rwd e90 and they gripped. Excellent stopping perf also and easy to control with good grip in icy conditions. Very happy with them from TG thru end of winter.

Believe it or not I was passing jeeps that were slipping and many other suvs with my rwd e90.
Appreciate 1
H2O_Doc512.50