View Single Post
      07-14-2022, 08:15 AM   #134
djpapeleta
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbm007 View Post
So I can provide some insight, having flashed my car with BM3 and XHP.

I used a generic ENET WiFi dongle to flash my car over BM3 (the same adapter will work on MHD too) - this is the bigger style adapter, similar to MHD Black (the one I got was from BMDiag co uk)

When trying to flash XHP, this adapter is not supported for "first time" flash. So I borrowed my friends MHD Orange adapter (smaller style adapter, you can also use THOR or XHP adapter).

Once the XHP software is installed onto the TCU, you can use any WiFi ENET adapter - for example I can now use my generic ENET WiFi adapter to flash a different XHP map or settings and it works fine and is very quick, about 15 seconds to flash XHP map or a new BM3 map.

It is confusing why for first time flash you have to use a smaller style adapter (MHD orange, THOR, XHP) but it may be because of the hardware supporting different communication protocols? The first time flash is more involved and takes about 3/4 minutes as it takes a backup of your stock firmware and flashes an entire new firmware. Once this is done, flashing a XHP map is just a case of uploading some configuration onto the TCU so it is much quicker. I guess they did it this way because the smaller style adapters are more reliable or have been tested properly?

In any case, if you have a friend with the smaller adapter, maybe you can borrow it to do the XHP flash, and just get a generic ENET WiFi adapter or a MHD Black adapter which will then work for everything
Do you know if the MHD orange adapter will work for ECU tune. I ended up buying the BHD black for the TCU tune and returned it because it wasn't compatible. I do not want to buy another Wifi dongle for a ECU tune if I can just use the MHD orange.
Appreciate 0