View Single Post
      06-01-2022, 04:19 PM   #1
dJt3xtbook
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82

G82 6MT: User Criticisms after 14 months

First things first, there's many things I love about this car, but this thread is specifically regarding criticisms of my 2021 BMW M4 G82 6MT. Some of these may be specific to my build date/year, but hoping this feedback provides some useful information. This isn't a rant...just some honest feedback about my car.

Silver X3 on screen at startup - I have a BSM M4, but I briefly see a silver X3 on my screen at startup about 5-7% of the time. It's very brief (second or less) before it shows my BSM M4. I get that much of the tech is shared between BMW models, but it does bother me slightly each time I see that damn silver X3 pop up on my screen.

Brake squeal & dust - I get that we have 'performance' brakes, but this is my daily driver as well. I'm not trying to heat up my brakes to racing temps when driving a couple miles to get groceries. It's terrible to hear the screech/squeal when my brakes are cold which is often. Adding on to this is the infamous BMW brake dust on my black wheels. I swear it only takes about 100 miles or less after a car wash that I see the brake dust adding layer after layer until the front wheels look brown. I often have to opt to get a car wash early when the rest of my car is still fairly clean, just for the brake dust.

Cup Holders - Eff these cup holders....especially since I have a 6MT. If I'm by myself, I have to use the passenger side cup holder, but my knuckles still hit the cup when I try to get into 3rd and 5th gears. I frequently have a passenger and if we both have drinks, I need to use the cupholder on my side where my 1st gear suffers as well. I get that I could hold the shifter differently, but I've been driving manual for years and old habits die hard. I refuse hold the shift knob like I'm holding a teacup or picking up dirty underwear because BMW wants to put the cupholders in a terrible area.

Comfort Access Issues - I like to keep my key in my pocket, but around 1-2% of the time, it won't detect that it's there and I either have to tug on the handle twice to open the door or pull my key out of my pocket and hit the unlock button. I also have 'comfort' issues with the locking as well. For example, if I get out and close the door and walk more than 5 feet away before my passenger closes their door, then I have to take the key out and lock the door manually. Similar situation with the trunk if I hit the button to close it and walk more than 5 feet away before it closes. Neither situation is the end of the world, but just annoying that I have to monitor to see if the comfort access is doing it's job every time.

Wireless Charging - This is the absolute worst. I only used it a few times before giving in to just using a wired charger in the car. First of all, it's not the easiest to open the center console to clip the phone in a very specific spot to take the phone in/out (compared to my girlfriend's Tesla where you just easily throw it in the front area). Secondly is that the charging is horrendous. Granted I was using GPS at the time, but I remember one trip where I ended up with LESS battery on my phone than when I started (never have an issue like this using the wired charger). Lastly, it makes my phone SUPER hot. It's very hot to the touch (can't be good for the phone/battery) and almost too hot to put in my pocket when I exit the car. I haven't used the wireless charger in over a year and don't plan to ever again.

Gesture Control - Used it for about a month or two and turned this setting off permanently. It would pick up unintentional hand signals from me or my passenger (e.g. I'll be pointing for my passenger to look at something and it will skip to the next song) and then wouldn't pick up intentional gestures at other times. I also started feeling really silly making tiny circles in the air with my finger to change the volume when I had a much easier time just doing it manually with the buttons on the steering wheel or the knob on the dash.

M2 button setting - I have my M2 setting to my liking and I have to remember to hit that button twice every time I start my car. Some of it is user error where I might hit it too fast and won't register my second click and not go to M2 setting. Because this happens occasionally, I might hit the M2 button too many times and it goes back to the regular setting. Or it might be that I turned my car off when picking someone up, but didn't get out of my car. Then I start the car and it's already in M2 setting I guess because I didn't exit the car, so it goes out of M2 and I have to re-enter it. Sometimes it seems that it reverts back to the original settings by itself during a drive, even though I'm pretty sure I set it to M2. The point of this is, I wish there was some way to just retain the setting I want at all times instead of having to set it each time. Believe it or not, this has caused some safety issues for me. My M2 button is set to have the driver lane assist OFF. If I'm driving down a road where I don't have anyone around me, I might make a lane change without using my turn signal (I know, I'm the worst). Especially in situations where the apex of a curve takes me from the outside lane to the inside lane, I might accidentally have the lane assist ON and it will pull me back into the outside lane where there could be sidewalk or guard rail that it points me towards.

Interior rattles - Fortunately, I had no markup on my car, but for a 80K 'luxury' vehicle, I have way too many random rattling noises in my cabin. The noises are pretty tame and it's not extremely terrible, but it is very noticeable even at idle.

Gear Ratio - I realize that there are tunes and whatnot to set this to my liking, but I feel that even the stock gearing for an "M" vehicle should be pretty good as is. First gear seems extremely short for me and I feel like I'm hitting redline and need to switch to 2nd gear immediately. Even the most professional manual driver can't help but lose some speed when shifting from 1st to 2nd when compared to an automatic transmission, so I feel like there is some early momentum lost off the line. This takes me to the 6th gear....As my daily driver, there many situations where I'm humming along at 80-100MPH in 6th on the highway. If I'm driving a long distance and just cruising, I can't help but think that I could use a 7th or 8th gear like my automatic transmission brethren to have a lower RPM noise and save some gas.

Flattening seats - I have the standard (non carbon bucket) seats and noticed a flat section developing on the side of the bolster in the driver's seat. I'm fairly average in build (5'11" and 180lbs), so I don't think that I'm too "big" for this seat. I've had many more miles/seat time in other cars and never had this issue.
Appreciate 11
GixY2K519.00
FrankieNuo1292.50
Mark Kez2209.00
RingRing135.00
nathanm4684.50
KO768.00
eugenebmw1595.50
stark_c55.50