View Single Post
      05-16-2022, 08:33 AM   #714
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 M550i Dinan S1, 340i

I'm glad to see Porsche & Audi joining, it will be good for the sport long-term and more competition will see innovation... generally speaking. I agree with F87source; there is no way they can come out of the gates as top-dog; they have ZERO experience. and they are not allowed to build and run an F1 car off the track (from what I understand) and their learning has to come during actual race-sanctioned events by F1. it's not like they can just rent out Imola and run laps all day for the next year.

these vehicles are the absolute best in the world and most cutting edge.. the different is thousandth's of a second margins in performance, even the experienced teams make minor changes and get it wrong. with budget caps they can't just throw money at it. if they over-build it, then it adds a lot of weight... no doubt they will build a good car/engine but to say that with zero experience they will produce a result better than 10 experienced teams or 4 engine manufactures is highly unlikely.

not to mention, both Porsche & Audi make great cars and have a German build philosophy; they are also some of the absolute slowest to innovate and improve. Porsche has very very slow incremental improvement and rarely can make radical shifts, and Audi does the same... Just look at Audi's MMI system, the 2020 vehicles get something like a 12 year old system. there is very little innovation year-over-year. these companies both have very methodical approaches and pace themselves.. it's what makes them phenomenal consumer vehicles - but I think they will struggle to adapt and engineer at the pace of F1. Even if they bring in F1 experienced talent I bet there will be a cultural learning curve and internal challenges that will inhibit, not enhance their ability to engineer at the pace of existing F1 teams.
Appreciate 0