BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by danf72 View Post
Thank you. This is such great advice. My RWD M3C arrived at the dealer and I'm trying to decide if I should keep it or drop it and order the AWD instead.

For me:
- I don't race at stoplights so that's not an issue.
- I'm new at the track and don't really care about my times. I care more about learning to drive properly. Maybe RWD is better to learn on?
- I live in a warm climate where the worst we have is some rain. I would however appreciate the additional safety of AWD, but that's probably more in my head than a real need.
- I will not take the M3C to the limit on public roads so even if AWD is faster, I won't reach those limits anyway.
- I prefer saving the $$ with the RWD, but it's an expensive car already so paying a bit more for AWD wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Given all this, I would say the RWD is a better choice for me. I am however looking for "a reason" that RWD is actually better in some way to make me excited about having RWD instead of AWD. You know, like people get a manual instead of an automatic because they're excited about that option, not because it's cheaper or faster. I guess RWD is cheaper. That's about it.
Don't think you can do it other than price & weight. One feature of the AWD system is it can also run as a RWD with the front tires not linked to the AWD system. The car is designed as a RWD car so you don't have that honken big engine handing out past the front wheel axle point like most AWD based cars.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0