View Single Post
      12-07-2021, 01:17 PM   #16
kasher_khan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 Audi S4

I am currently in the market for a fun Daily (family sports sedan\ SUV). Cross shopping the Macan GTS 2022 against a G80 Xdrive. The Macan is about 20% more pricey for my config. I actually have a deposit down on the Porsche and awaiting allocations. My weekend car is a 2005 Honda S2000. I have driven the E90M3 and F80 quite a bit and found them to be too fast for the public roads to have any real fun without significantly exceeding limits (my own and the law). I drove a 2021 Cayman GTS and 2021 Macan GTS back to back and found that under reasonable spirited driving conditions there was very little difference in either the acceleration\body roll or braking between a dedicated sports couple like the cayman\or my s2000. The only thing different is the high center of gravity (Which I can really notice coming from an S2000). I used to have an Audi S4 and the M3s always seemed like more sporty versions of the audi. I also don't care for the IPAD infotainment (Which I agree is very subtle in the M3). In the end the analog tach, arguably better steering wheel (and feel), better exhaust note and suitability for a family of 4 puts the Macan GTS ahead of the G80X m3 (I am not beyond getting convinced otherwise). Although I will have to pull my deposit (place in line is 1st) and get (3rd in line for G80) - the best I can get. That facts does make me reluctant to change my mind. Also disclaimer that like many others I have never test driven the latest g80. I always found it off putting that BMW dealers dont' allow test drives of M3 (Any generation) readily, where is Porsche dealers don't mind you flogging their 911. If it is not completely obvious I am considering these cars under the criteria, that I will have my 2 youg kids in the back seat... so I am never going to push any of the cars to the limit. Also I don't do any track days.

Note: I can appreciate that on a really nice road or track for that matter a g80x drive would probably annihilate the Macan GTS. I keep the really thrill driving for the s2000 which arguably is pure pleasure at under legal speed limits compared to the others mentioned here (not trying to flame). I am also hoping that the last ICE Macan would probably hold it's value better than the G80 m3 (enough to cover some of the initial difference in price).
Appreciate 0