vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
How can you do coastal and avoid hurricanes? A friend of mine lives in Tega Cay SC, a quick ride from Raleigh. He has a great house and has a river or large stream maybe lake access in his back yard with a dock for his boat so that covers fishing. But still a bit of a trek to the ocean.
My DW and I bought our wooded 5-acre SC retirement lot on a motorboat lake about 45 minutes downstream of Tega Cay off of I-77. Definitely a recreational area, with no well-paying jobs. Perfect for retiring or WFH though, with gigabit fiber at the curb. The SC Midlands are far enough away from the coast where hurricanes aren't an issue, and the lot that we bought has a spot that's 50 feet above the lake so non-biblical flooding isn't a concern.

Everyone looks at Raleigh/Durham, but how about the Queen City? Charlotte has some large corporation HQ offices, a major airport, great fishing a few miles north at Lake Norman (NASCAR country), and Cam Newton back under center with the Panthers. Plus, it has a nice Cabelas store just south of the city in Rock Hill, SC. I've only passed through Charlotte and used it as an overnight hotel stop, which is why I'm asking why it hasn't been suggested yet other than a slightly longer drive to the beach at Wilmington, NC or Myrtle Beach, SC.

I flew out/into Myrtle Beach back in June, when we went down for our property closing. I've heard from many people that it is an up-and-coming place. We didn't look around beyond the airport and a major shopping mall, as neither of us are beach people. I crossed it off of our retirement destination list purely because it is in the Pee Dee basin, prone to flooding and hurricanes just like Charleston, Savannah, and the rest of the coastal SC/GA Low Country region.....
cmyx6go15851.50