Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I think his point is that that the 4-door G80 M3 is produced in significantly higher volumes than the 4-door F80 M3, despite the fact that overall G8X production volumes are lower than the F8X volumes for the same period. That tells us that either demand for the 4-door is higher for the G8X gen or that BMW shifted their strategy allocating more production slots to the 4-door.

In my personal case, I find the G82 M4 totally missed the mark esthetically, much more so than the G80 M3. Maybe others are like me, which could explain why for the first time the 4-door is produced in higher volumes than the 2-door.
That’s exactly what I was saying. All that with a massive part shortage and a massive slow down in production. Have there been no COVID-19 and the shutting down of factories all over the world there would have been a lot more G80’s produced by now.

I’m not really crazy about two door cars in general. I never liked the mustang, Corvette, Camaro or even the charger. First off they are the ones that door ding everyone with their long ass doors. Second it’s just not as practical as four doors. I do like the look of the new G82 but I wish they had flared the rear fenders like they did for the G80.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
disagreed. no spin, you made the commentary on getting a smart ass reply. I don't know what the hell you meant because you're coming to a place that has statistics with anecdotes; they're not entitled the same validity.

Plus, facts / feelings; your feelings and what you're hearing from 1 person are not indicative of the broader market here, and ynguldyn has come with receipts.

Thanks for not further engaging, the hole is getting too deep.

I think his point is that that the 4-door G80 M3 is produced in significantly higher volumes than the 4-door F80 M3, despite the fact that overall G8X production volumes are lower than the F8X volumes for the same period. That tells us that either demand for the 4-door is higher for the G8X gen or that BMW shifted their strategy allocating more production slots to the 4-door.

In my personal case, I find the G82 M4 totally missed the mark esthetically, much more so than the G80 M3. Maybe others are like me, which could explain why for the first time the 4-door is produced in higher volumes than the 2-door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Quote:

That's exactly what I was saying. All that with a massive part shortage and a massive slow down in production. Have there been no COVID-19 and the shutting down of factories all over the world there would have been a lot more G80's produced by now.

I'm not really crazy about two door cars in general. I never liked the mustang, Corvette, Camaro or even the charger. First off they are the ones that door ding everyone with their long ass doors. Second it's just not as practical as four doors. I do like the look of the new G82 but I wish they had flared the rear fenders like they did for the G80.
I did a Google search in German and I have found two different reports on manufacturing delays for BMW and one specificially for the G8x

First this report from april that says the Regensburg factory had to close for two days due to the chip shortage. Same article also says that other German manufacturers have been hit far worse than BMW with having had to shut down for several weeks.
The Regensburg factory makes 1000 cars per day.

https://www.bimmertoday.de/2021/04/3...erbrechen/amp/

Then this second report from august that says all but the Munich factory has decreased production or going just one shift leading to 10000 vehicles not being made the next following days.

https://www.bimmertoday.de/2021/07/2...allen-bei-bmw/

Neither of these point to a «massive delay» in production for the G8x, but certainly a delay having found place.

Then this third, and most recent report from two weeks ago (october 19th), which is almost like a déjà vu to people familiar with previous BMW S-engines like the S54, S65, S85 … A bearing issue…
This time a main bearing issue discovered during quality checks with a suppler.
This has lead to a halt in production until the case is solved. So far only 25 vehicles have been affected and the problem was discovered before the cars where delivered to customers.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...er-mangelhaft/
Appreciate 0