View Single Post
      10-02-2021, 08:21 PM   #96
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
In a LHD, when you tense up and yank at the gear lever for the fastest shift from 3 to 4, it's possible to go from 3-2 as you tense your shoulder and pull the gear lever towards yourself. Engine blows up. Money shift.

In a RHD, if you tense up and yank the gear lever towards yourself, you're going to pull it from 3-6, which will not blow up the engine. Not a Money Shift.

Make sense?
Not much if you don't tense up. In a LHD if you don't push the gear lever away from yourself shifting from 5 to 6 you can end up in 4 or shifting from 4 to 5 you can end up in 3. Likewise, in a RHD you can have just the same if you don't pull the gear lever towards yourself, I suppose (never tried a RHD but very positive the gearbox is exactly the same): there's some (spring?) tension applied to the lever when it's off the 3-4 position.

And no, it won't blow the engine once you've just misshifted: you need to engage the clutch for that to happen and here's the point when you can stop and recover if you are conscious of what you are doing (the revs go blasting up). I never drop the clutch and it saved me from a money shift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
'Laws of physics' are that by the time you moved your foot from the gas pedal to the brake pedal when you realised something was in the road took too long, simples and the foot doesn't have to be over the stem in an elongated pedal, you're wrong again
There was another dog who chose wisely and didn't try to be fast, it rather proved to be sensible. Living is something you might want to deserve. Pressing the pedal away from the stem is not particularly effective to move it forward, but yes, you are right: I am wrong mentioning that for you.
Appreciate 0