View Single Post
      07-28-2021, 10:10 PM   #1
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3

Has everyone really examined their paint?

So I am involved in the first steps in possible legal action for another owner of a new M4 against BMW.

He has TZ2 blue. This has been truly a saga that makes one wonder how BMW really feels about its customers. This owner owns a Tuner shop here in OC, he bought the car shortly after mine ( I have BG, no problems) He had just had the arranged a color correction and then a full front XPEL wrap when the detailer, than his employees and finally myself looked carefully at the paint. The entire car had blemishes under the clear coat...including the CF roof. It was very pronounced on the hood and trunk lid.

I urged him to stop and immediately contact his dealer Beverly Hills BMW and BMW NA. He did both immediately.

What happened next infuriated me and its not my car. Everyone of those mentioned moved at the speed of a glacier with absolutely no communication or care, regardless of the 95k dollars spent. I have had faster response with Toyota on a Supra.

As his friend and lawyer I urged some well-written emails to start, document and photograph everything. He did. Eventually, after some communication from me they agreed to an inspection at Crevier BMW, his closest dealer but again, not his selling dealer.

Keep in mind the paint was actually getting worse. BMW finally sent a field rep to inspect the car with a field rep from the local collision center. So this happens, then he is told to pick up his car...then nothing. No call from BMW NA, nothing from the rep, nada. Days later he calls BMW NA and asks what happened, they said case closed, denied.

I then have him pick me up in the car ( my first extended ride in the buckets) and we go to the collision center. At first they are standoffish, then the owner and I click as he is a former Marine. He then tells them to pull the car in to the inspection room. He also looks up the VIN and shows us on the his screen that their was Port work done on the car, we cannot tell what but BH categorically stated the car had NO work done at the port.

The owner called in the rep who had inspected the car. She relays that the BMW rep was not in the mood to really find anything, as we walk around the car he finally sees what we are talking about..." oh, thats paint shrinkage" ...this is normal for " Production paint" from BMW, we are dumbfounded.

He says most cars are leased and it's just no longer a concern for BMW. His, like mine are purchased cars. He said he could correct about 90% of it with a color sand and buff but it would take off much of the margin for clear coat...so, the next owner is hosed.

But, then, it gets interesting. The field rep said she saw this...she guides us all to the rear of the car and points at the antenna area of the CF roof..a crack under the clear coat. The CF roof is compromised, the owner asks his rep what did he say to that? She said " the owner knows, no big deal" This was the very first time he seen this and yes it was a big deal.

There is more on that but for now we will move to the next communication with BMW, there is none. they have rebuffed EVERY attempt at dialogue. Even from BH BMW.

If this were my car I would already filing but my friend is more patient than I am and really is just stunned at how poorly he has been treated.

Now, I will be posting pictures of his paint ( there is a thread in the detail section) but as I said, he has a tuning shop, he is seeing more of our cars. Low and behold look what comes in for XPEL...this photo was taken with a high-end digital camera...paint shrinkage over entire care. Different color. I would urge all of you, look at your car ( hood and trunk obliquely under LED light) I hope these are rare occurrences but he is 2/2 on metallic paints.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
kjx3215.50
disancke142.00