PLife
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i, G80 M3 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
Ok, thanks for posting the info.

There is more to the final experience than the what we see doing the number crunching, the overall feel of a car can be very different with just a simple ratio change.

I attended a 2 day track event last weekend with my new to me M340i wich is equipped with the ZF8 (probably similar to the one in the M3) and I did not feel any disconfort with the gearing. I remember not liking the gearing in my M235i. I also drove a Manual M2 and a DCT on the same track, same day and the feeling was quite different.

I also often fall into spec hunting and over-analyzing but when I finally test drive and do serious driving with the cars I often realize that the perspective I had in mind is a lot different than what I feel in reality.
Completely agree. My 718 spyder has been criticized by literally every single car reviewer for having obscenely long gears in the manual. I actually find the long gears super enjoyable and never lack for power. In fact the manual is faster on a roll than the pdk if you shift fast enough (started a dragy thread on rennlist confirming this). Whereas on my R8 v10 plus the gears were obscenely short and i hated it, occasionally found myself banging off the rev limiter in manual race mode unless i had a triple venti macchiato
Appreciate 1
PLF693771.50