View Single Post
      05-01-2021, 02:40 PM   #3
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

S58 is more linear than the S55 – some describe it as more naturally aspirated-like. Further, the S58 pulls all the way to red line, unlike the M2C where things flattened out pretty noticeably after 5000-5500 RPMs. My understanding is that this is not the case with the F80/82, e.g., BMW engineers neutered the top of the S55 rev band in the M2C.

I seem to be in the midst of a compromise I had to similarly make with the M2C. To avoid the ‘flattening out’ of power, I learned to shift at a point well short of red line. Nonetheless, the DCT shifts were brisk and ‘torquey.’ In the M3C, pull is all the way to red line, but the shifts are VERY DISAPPOINTING up top, if not frankly dysfunctional. So, once again, I see myself heading down the path of having to shift near 5500 RPM.

Even though the S58 delivers power in a relatively linear fashion, there is PLENTY of low-end torque to differentiate it from most naturally aspirated engines . . . turbo lag is negligible. In this regard, very reminiscent of the GTS. Unfortunately, the ZF8 gearing is too short for my liking and you get to the top of the rev band way to quickly in lower gears.

The M2C S55 unleashes its torque out of the gate and, as per previous, the powerband flattens out well before red line. I enjoyed the M2C S55 power delivery immensely, save for the flattening out part, and seven gears appear far superior to eight gears at this point.

The S58 itself seems like a marvelous engine, however, I am not currently impressed with the ZF8, and am particularly frustrated over ZF8 shifts high in the rev band and fact that is has one too many gears.

Disclosure III: During initial driving – while engine is warming up – I drive using start-up (Comfort) settings in ZF8 automatic mode, as I have done with all recent cars having performance setting options.

///AVM

Last edited by ///AVM; 05-30-2021 at 07:43 AM..
Appreciate 0