Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeedsM4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeedsM4 View Post
It's not at all? In manual mode with the DTC, press kickdown with the accelerator pedal and pull the downshift paddle. It'll then drop down and SKIP to the lowest gear possible. At 70mph it'll drop from 7th to 3rd in an instant I've found, anyone that thinks ZF is in anyway 'faster' is delusional or suffering from confirmation bias if you think the ZF gearbox is faster.

Same with kickdown in auto mode, the ZF drops down the gears. Engaging gears as it drops down. DTC however, skips gears.

ZF - Example - *Kickdown Requested* 7-6-5-4th

DTC Example - *Kickdown Request* 7-4th

ZF is no where near as responsive as DTC, sorry
I've never experienced a ZF in any vehicle shift 7, 6, 5, 4 when you request a kickdown. Only if you're in manual mode and are clicking the downshift paddle down through all those gears but even my family's 2012 528i used to skip directly to the lowest possible gear with no in-between gears if you press the kickdown button.

A DCT can select one gear and pre-select one other gear. If you're in 2nd gear at full throttle, the computer assumes 3rd gear will come next and pre-select 3rd. In that scenario, it upshifts from 2-3 in about 80-100ms in the BMW M-DCT's case.

The ZF 8AT constantly has ALL of its gears pre-selected and can shift from any gear directly to any other in about 150ms.

When you are cruising on the highway in top gear and kickdown in the DCT, it takes longer than the ZF to jump straight down to the gear you want.

When you are driving in manual mode and shifting with paddles, DCT is faster shifting up and down. No question about it.
Whichever way you look at it, DTC is a better transmission for what the car is trying to be. People keep saying "I don't mind it's smoother around town than the DTC blah blah"

If you want smoothness, go buy a 335d/340i. Smooth should never be used to describe an M car.

The thing is with ZF is that it inherently restricts the cars performance. Due to oil cavitation you simply car spin the torque converter gearbox as fast as DTC, ZF hates high RPM. Which is why the S58 doesn't Rev as high as the S55. It also hates being banged off the redline and then told to upshift, there's that awful up change delay.

I'm sorry but ZF being in this car is not because 'we had to make it work X Drive' but because they couldn't be bothered and it cost money to keep making it.

Price of the car has gone up, quality of the product has gone down. G80 is essentially a M340i plus, I'm sorry to say
Ah yes, the old "my car is too high performance to be launchable" argument. "It's so high performance, that's why it loses to a Camaro off the line. Because of how high performance it is."

The torque in low gears in the F80 is a liability to driving performance. That's a fact, and a well established one. We can argue until we are blue in the face about whether the mechanical nature of the DCT is more engaging, but if you're after engagement you should be in the 6 speed anyway.

If the g80 is the new 340 then where does that leave the old f80? Is that the new 2er?
Appreciate 1