Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeregrineFalcon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
You would need to compare the 991.1 to the F8X, which was the relevant 911 chassis when the F8X was released. The 991.2 was released 3 years after the F8X launch. In the same way, the 992.2 will coming out in a couple of years.
Exactly, and I have presented the data for the F82 Competition that came about three years after the base model, so the comparison is very valid.

Quote:
On street tires:
E90C 1:41
--> 3 sec
F82C: 1:36
--> 2 sec
G82C: 1:34

We're comparing only one data point here, so it means what is means, but I see this just as a normal generational leap. Nothing extra-ordinary. A big portion of the leap from one generation to the next is attributable to tire tech. We can't even directly compare the F8X and G8X with PSC2 as Michelin have made significant improvements with the latest gen PSC2.
Of course it is a generational leap, but the point was that the difference between, for example E46 M3 CSL and E92 M3 GTS is nowhere near as big as the difference between E92 M3 GTS and F82 GTS.
In its time, CSL was even faster than Porsche GT3 on some tracks, and M4 GTS was very close to GT3.
Despite the fact that all versions of the BMW had the semi slicks, the E92 GTS in its time was nowhere near the GT3 if I remeber corectly?

Now we have the G82 that is faster than the F82 GTS and even just in Competition form (no AWD, no CS/CSL) very competitive to P cars such as Carrera S. Latest M4CS was slower than Carrera S on this track, and the new CS will most porobably be faster.
I would call that a very good progress!

Quote:
According to BMW, the base G2X chassis is 25% stiffer than the base F3X chassis while the G8X is 15% stiffer than the F8X. Do the math...
You have said that there is no indication that the G8X has superior bracing over the F8X, and that chassis improvements stem from the wider track and latest gen suspension tech, and if the G8x has 15% stiffer chassis than the F8X, how does that translate in to not having improvements in that field, and how that doesn't increase the overall performance of the vehicle?
Because that is the point I was making.
Even though the G8x both has a dome-dome strut (unlike the F8x) and a larger and better anchored front underbody chassis brace, some insist the F8x has just as good, or even better, chassis bracing... 😉

BMW also points to having extra focus on stiffening the suspension pick up points on the G8x.

Just a visual comparison of the front underbody bracing between the F8x and G8x shows that the G8x has larger triangulated brace elements. It's also anchored to the chassis on what BMW explains is a stiffer part of the unibody.
Appreciate 1