Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeregrineFalcon View Post
True, but in reality, real apple to apple comparison would be with the new M4 CS (if we include the price tag), and in that case I'm pretty sure CS will be quicker since only the tires narrow the gap to only 0,4 sec.

And if we compare the F82 Competition time with the Porsche 911 Carrera S (991 facelift), the difference is much bigger, 2,6 sec. compared to 1,6 in the case of G82 and Porsche 911 Carrera S (992).
The M3/4 was never this close to Carrera S!
You would need to compare the 991.1 to the F8X, which was the relevant 911 chassis when the F8X was released. The 991.2 was released 3 years after the F8X launch. In the same way, the 992.2 will coming out in a couple of years.

Quote:
On the surface yes, but realistically the E92 GTS was the "worse" special addition M3 to date.
It was "marginally" faster than the base car on the Nürburgring, and was nowhere near the F82 GTS, or E46 CSL in that regard (CSL was only one second slower on the ring than the E92 GTS!).

In my opinion the G8X had much, much harder task to catch up with the F82 GTS, because the F82 GTS has set the bar much higher compared to E92 GTS!
On street tires:
E92: 1:41
--> 3 sec
F82C: 1:36
--> 2 sec
G82C: 1:34

We're comparing only one data point here, so it means what is means, but I see this just as a normal generational leap. Nothing extra-ordinary. A big portion of the leap from one generation to the next is attributable to tire tech. We can't even directly compare the F8X and G8X with PSC2 as Michelin have made significant improvements with the latest gen PSC2.

Quote:
It probably has superior bracing to some degree, since the G8X has stiffer chassis than the F8X according to BMW?!
According to BMW, the base G2X chassis is 25% stiffer than the base F3X chassis while the G8X is 15% stiffer than the F8X. Do the math...
What is more interesting than absolute chassis stiffness is which areas they have focused on. We have discussed this before...

As mentioned in my previous post, the underbody bracing on the G8x is larger and has more solid anchorage to the chassis. This helps control especially the front crossmember. Meaning less movement in front suspension anchorage points.

This is also a point made by BMW.
Appreciate 2
BimmerFix1452.00
manuelf353.50