No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp!on View Post
question regarding the weight:
As you seem to have the tech knowledge, do you actually know how exactly they saved on the F80/F82 so much weight compared to the F3x ?
And what could have they done to the G8X to save more ?

I don't think the carbon brace over the engine saves THAT much (maybe 1 Kilo or 2 I guess).

Serious question out of curiosity.

Thank you !
I am not an expert, only a technical geek, but IMO it is because they made it a an overall key design criteria. It is the cumulation of a concerted effort to keep weight down on the F82 on many components that yielded the lower weight over the F32. Meaning that the few kilos of the strut brace gets added to all the grams and kilos saved elsewhere. There was also effort to reduce the weight of the "added" components as much as possible.

Just to name a few items from the top of my head (F82 vs F32)
  • CF roof
  • CF driveshaft
  • Lightweight wheels
  • Lightweight structural/reenforcing elements (CF and aluminum)
  • Roof CF bow tie
  • Composite trunk lid
  • Aluminum hood and fenders
  • Aluminum suspension components
  • Scalloped wheel hubs
  • Bespoke aluminum rear subframe
  • Aluminum dampers
  • Li-ion battery

Sadly, some of those items were removed during the F8X lifecycle (CFRP driveshaft and Mg oil pan for example) and we did see the weight creep up slightly. Thankfully, they were maintained for the M4cs.

Disclaimer to the fanboys: I am not praising/defending the F8X here, just answering a question.
The G8x has most of the lightweight components on that list as well, some it don't and some of the G8x items are not on the F8x

G8x:

Aluminium bonnet (as the F8x)
Aluminium doors (not on the F8x list above)
Lightweight crankshaft (lighter than S55)
Appreciate 0