03-15-2021, 09:07 AM   #8
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
I'm over 50 and I might get my stuff together next year.

Nah, probably not.

The reality is that everyone has their own pace, own desires, own demons, and their own control over all of that. Some people always have it together. Some people never will. As long as your brother is taking care of himself by not being a burden to someone else, then he is succeeding in my view.

20 years old is the still the beginning of life. Yes, legally he is an adult, but there are very few 20 year olds who act like adults, are responsible like adults, and who know their path.

Give your brother encouragement, advice, and time. When he wants to listen, tell him things you wish you knew at his age.
This is exactly what I am trying to do for him. Just help him see other avenues rather then force him into something he hates. I'll help, but I don't intend to nor will I be a crutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyG-inFlaNow View Post
I was thrown into being a manager at 25 and after about 6 months I realized I needed to be the best manager I could be. I attended all kinds of training in my career field and won some very big achievements in my field (Autobody)
I was very young to hold that position, but now at 46 I don't feel like the young guy in the field anymore.

I would say between 25-30 yrs old was when I got my sh!t together...maybe I need to go for round two of getting my sh!t together
Similar situation starting out in our careers. Still working on getting all of my sh*t together, but most of it is in the right place haha. By 30 I should be set if all goes as planned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Tough to say for sure but probably around age 6. Same time my folks got divorced and it was just me and my mom. She needed help and I had to handle my business from a young age. Making my own breakfast in the morning and walking myself to and from school. Making my own dinner on nights she had to work late. Was doing my own laundry by about age 7. First job at 12 (paper route). College at 17; completed in 4 years. First career job at 21. Married at 21. Bought my first house at 22....

So yeah, from about age 6 my shit was dialed in.

My 1/2 brother, on the other hand, just turned 35. Has never held down any sort of professional career type role. He delivers for Uber Eats and sells a lot of weed. My mom gives him money every month to help make ends meet. He snowboards a couple times a week, goes camping a lot and takes a lot of road trips in the SUV my my gave him when she bought a new car. He's got no savings; no retirement. I just sat my mom down and had a convo with her about putting any inheritance for him into a trust that I will oversee once she's gone so that I can make sure he's taken care of and also make sure he doesn't blow it all in a year and show up on my front porch at age 50 looking to me to support him. We couldn't be more different.
Nice! Another person who understands what it is like to be the last person in college to turn 21 haha. I also started college at 17. With that said I definitely was a loose cannon and quite immature at the time.

Your description of your half brother is exactly what I don't want for my brothers. And without introduction into career paths I could see it becoming a reality in todays day and age. Social media constantly forces opinions on the youth, and not only that but they get constant updates of their peers progression. If you dont feel that you are holding to the standard, then it could drastically affect your mental health as well. I see this a little of each of my younger brothers and it is probably one of the things that upsets me the most in life. I don't really care if they are financially successful, I want them to be emotionally successful (aka happy). That's exactly why I keep telling my youngest brother that he shouldn't be bearing the self induced burden of comparison - unless you use that as fuel to spark interest then it will eventually become envy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
First job at 14 and independently paying for, I think, everything by the time I was 18 or 19. Bought my first house at 22. Been nonstop since.
Same minus the house purchase, that is forth coming. With that said I wouldn't call that having your shit together. I have friends in similar situations, but they also black out 2-3 nights a week with no regard for anything lol.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11484.00