03-11-2021, 04:21 AM   #44
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Really though, if G8X is as these initial reviews describe (refined/livable), then I don't know that DCT really makes sense.
People here making out like the DCT is some rough shifting race gearbox like an SMG or some other single clutch sequential race box
It's a few little quirks that are easy to get used to, sometimes you feel a little thump in low gears as you're slowing down and the car is still cold. It's not a harsh kick or something. It feels a little awkward at first at low speed because of the clutch engagement, rather than the torque converter giving you that push as you ease off the brakes.
Otherwise it's just like any auto and shifts seamlessly in regular driving.

Perfectly livable. I've commuted in a DCT car for years, no issues in cities or traffic - an E92 335i with DCT and now and F82 M4.

It only kicks hard in the most aggressive setting under hard acceleration, which is where the fun is at.

I absolutely love the DCT. So yeah, I'm disappointed that BMW has phased it out. I don't care for the manual. I loved older manual cars but in high performance cars at this level, I'd rather have a fast transmission that gives me that "race car" feel.
Appreciate 2
RugbyBro7609.00
Puuhapete145.00