03-10-2021, 05:04 PM   #273
simpelton
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
There's a lot of confirmation bias going on here as those who were positive on the car before mostly heard the positive spins, while those who had reservations or didn't like it, heard the other side.

My take is consistent with your view that CH, as a journalist, tried to point out the pros and cons, trying to be as fair as possible, knowing reviews are inherently subjective. And the biggest subjective from CH that I heard is that the car was not as fun to drive. This brings me back to the old days whenever C&D and other reviewers did a comparison test and the Benz or Audi ticked enough boxes to win on paper but, despite that, they pick the BMW because of the "fun factor." Those days are gone.

And finally, I absolutely agree that if you read between the lines and look at his muted reaction compared to other reviews where CH really liked the car, that he did not think highly of the G8x. Indeed, I am reminded of his review of the F80 when it first came out and his reaction was like that of a giddy kid on Christmas morning repeating superlatives like "This is spectacular, I think" or "It moves the game massively from the last car [E9x M3]" or "It's just stupendous!" or "Wow, wow, wow!" - and you know when he reeealy likes a car and when he's, like, meh.

Here was CH's F80 review. And this was the base F80, not CP or CS modesls. You can easily tell he's a lot less excited driving the G80.

Bingo!! Nail has been hit on its head.
Appreciate 0