View Single Post
      03-10-2021, 01:59 PM   #22
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
The software tuning of the ZF8 is unique to each car. So while it could be the same hardware, it's almost definite that the software is tuned differently between cars and between brands.
Well that's kind of what I'm getting at: there is supposed to be a tuning difference between brands, however, I've personally never been able to tell a fundamental difference in the shifting characteristics of any ZF8 implementation I've driven. It's also confusing to me why the Giulia would supposedly better when the G8X would conceivably be tuned to be as aggressive as the ZF8 can be given it's following up a DCT. ZF8 is a great transmission but I think it's obvious now that replicating DCTesque clutch engagement with planetary clutch packs is just not going to happen. But that's fine and I think ZF8 is the right choice given the design direction the G8X has taken. Said another way, it might be odd that the G8X is so refined and improved on livability in a noticeable way but retained a somewhat quirky and brutal gearbox. Sure it would definitely enhance the feel/engagement of S58 but at the expense of G8X's duality. I'm sorry Manual guys, don't mean to de-rail your thread