View Single Post
      09-23-2020, 03:57 PM   #68
jkap27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmedeir1 View Post
So I am still out to lunch on this car. I am over the front grill thing. After yesterday it does look much better than the artist renderings. The side view of the car on the M4 looks fantastic to me. The rear is is not better than my F82 but appealing to me only because its different. The performance of the new G series, however, doesnt wow me over my F82 especially knowing after 1st/2nd year I take almost a 20% hit in depreciation off of a car that will be upgraded close to $100K. So I feel like this may be the same situation I was in with my e46 M3 where I did not see a need to go replace it with the e92 because of very limited design improvements (actually thought e46 looked better), better road feeling with e46, and slightly modest performance improvement.
I'm with you on the side view vs rear view for the m4. I've only been looking at the m3 and I think the rear on the g80 is a significant improvement over that boxier looking f80 rear in my persomal opinion but the f82 rear profile was real nice. Front fascia looks a lot better with the carbon pack in my opinion because it gives that intake under the grilles a more curved look like it recedes into the car a little bit which helps when viewing from that front 3/4 angle

Im confused at the performance complaints though...3.8 second 0-60 (keeping in mind bmw underrates their 0-60 a bit) is getting pretty close to the limit of what you can achieve with a front engine rwd setup as far as an initial launch goes...thats getting awfully close to the point where any horsepower gains are offset by traction loss The g80 is most likely going to considerably outperform the f80 at speeds of 50+ with the improved power to weight ratio (people are using the wrong weights and comparing an unrealistically light f80 weight to a heavily equipped g80 to come up with this inaccurate 400+ pound weight difference) . Acceleration figures don't stop mattering at 60 miles per hour lol and if people are looking exclusively to dust people on the drag strip then why are they looking at an m3 anyway
Appreciate 0