09-22-2020, 07:12 PM   #176
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaley View Post
I think the S58 will have way more headroom in terms of tuning, the modular series engines are heavily underrated. The X3M with just a flash does 3.0s to 60 and 11s 1/4.

I think the M3/M4 will be a 2.7s capable car and a mid 10s car . Say what you will about the looks, but even with the weight increase, net net performance wise my money is on the newer car which is stating the obvious...

cost and atleast compared to the Porsche, BMW wins in delivering torque per dollar. The S58 will be faster than a 718GT4 in a straight line for a cheaper price, and a equivalent 911 is twice as much. It takes me $100k to get a Porsche that can do 350 lbs of Torque where the B58 can be tuned to 450+ easily for 55k in a Supra.

The GTR is super outdated at this point.

The closest competition price at the performance really is the Cayman GTS, Supra, Jaguar Type F, RS5, TTRS, C43, C63, and maybe most importantly, the C8.
I believe you're right, but when we don't cheat and start consuming the reliability margins that BMW has built in, I would expect BMW M to provide the optimal ECU tune for this performance engine, and not an aftermarket chiptuner that takes no responsibility beyond his doorstep and clearly doesn't have the engineering squad of M GmbH at his disposal either.
Appreciate 0