View Single Post
      08-27-2020, 04:52 AM   #91
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
I have a X3MC right now and I can't stand the lag. It's only at the start from a dead stop but it's horrible. Once going the car has insane power but they need to figure out how to launch it better without having to use launch control every time. It really defeats a lot of the benefits that come with AWD if there is no power for the first second...

Greatest example is look at CD 0-60 vs 5-60 time

The 4.6-4.7 second 5-60 is what you get at a stop light. It's sad, I think my Old M3 would take it. But with launch control it's 3.3. Insane difference.

Sure the M3 might be 2.9-3.0 with launch control but I bet it's 4.2 without it. Which means not much improvement over current M3 for stop light starts. I realize that's not everything but it is something that will be in your face every day you drive it...

For this reason when my lease is up in 2 years I may go to something else. Would be tough dealing with the lag for another 3 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
One scenario in which I'm particularly frustrated with the X3MC is, when cursing at speed, let's say cruising at 2k5 in sport mode, you floor it and get instantly a few gears drop to 4k5-5k. You'd think now full power is all yours, well, NO, not remotely true. Even at 4k5+, the turbo still lags and need one second or two for spool up. What's even more ridiculous, the build up from 4k5 is so slow that you don't even get full power at fuel cutoff! Then it upshifts, dropping back to 5k, now the full power. Think about it, pedal to metal, kick down, and full power is not available until the next gear...

I'm telling everyone yes the X3MC is that laggy. Unless you're some kind of a crazy driver, winding up RPM in sport all the time, you'll be dealing with a very sluggish car most of time.

Quite a few owners are doing too many high speed to stay in off boost to really bother. No mention track junkies need nothing under 3k5.

There is some hope for the M3/4 though:
1) The Alpina B3 is using the same S58 and they seem to find more low down torque, assuming they didn't custom spec the turbo.
2) Reports say M3/4 have 50NM (37lbft) of peak torque than the SUV counterpart, there're probably some improvement work already done in it.

Sean
Any little turbo lag in the G80/82 is gonna be a much bigger problem than the grille. The other elephantine issue is G80/82's steering feel (compared to the F80/82).

Last edited by bm323; 08-27-2020 at 05:06 AM..
Appreciate 0